Thursday, October 20, 2011

The Cabbage Celebration Diet


A couple times a year--usually late autumn and then in early spring, I spend a week on a “cabbage soup”-like diet. The Cabbage Soup diet is a very specific 7-day diet revolving around a cabbage soup, which you can eat as much as you want of during the week. Other than that the days’ food choices are limited:

Day One: Fruit (except bananas).

Day Two: Vegetables (except potatoes)

Day Three: Fruits and vegetables you want. (No bananas or potatoes)

Day Four: Bananas and Skim Milk

Day Five: Beef And Tomatoes

Day Six: Beef and Vegetables (except potatoes)

Day Seven: Brown rice, unsweetened fruit juices and vegetables

 

One time, the first time, I followed the above (except for the beef, I substitute other plant-based high-protein food like bean-grain combos), and was light-headed and dizzy by the end of day two.  Not a good state of being when trying to parent 2 energetic boys and teach College Algebra. Since then I’ve eaten high-protein foods each day and a mix of fruit and vegetables. (And dairy).  But always I eat lots of the cabbage soup. Beverages include no wine but lots of herbal tea and water after my morning cup of strong coffee with a splash of whole raw milk.

 

I'd like to always eat so simply and thoughtfully.  But I think it would get boring (even thought the soup is really really delicious).

 

My CSA share speaks to me about what we will eat each week as I greet it and then find a resting place for each vegetable in the crisper or on the counter or in the root “cellar” (aka closet at the bottom of the stairs that doesn’t get much heat).  This week, it whispered to me, “cabbage soup”. Funny it’s called cabbage soup though, because it is so much more that than cabbage. Lowly cabbage.  Hearty and long-suffering cabbage. I can neglect it in my fridge for a couple weeks and it still holds up. It holds up when I move it out of the crisper to the bigger open world of the fridge when I make way for the new kale, carrots and salad mix. It holds up under the slicing off of chunks for my son Daniel who likes to eat it raw as a snack, because he, “is a bunny rabbit”. 

 

It is more than cabbage, but cabbage is the motivation, the instigator, the party planner for the event of, “the soup”.  The party celebrates the earth’s harvest at particular seasons.  I’ve come across various recipes and then modified them. Some with an ethnic twist.  They’ve been good or okay.  This evening amidst soccer practice drop offs and pick ups, phone calls, homework supervision, a library visit I came across a recipe that will inspire me to make cabbage soup week more frequent. 

 

The original recipe is here, from Savvy Vegetarian. It starts out with, “We don't recommend the cabbage soup diet - but if you want a low cal, filling, nourishing vegan meal, here it is.” I couldn't agree more.

My current BEST Cabbage Soup Recipe

Total Prep And Cook Time: about 5 hours with breaks for errands, phone calls, dropping off and picking up kids--but could probably could be done in an hour including hands-on and simmering time.

I don’t currently have any vegetable broth or fresh vegetable bouillon made so my first thought was to make a mirepoix for a flavorful liquid to cook the vegetables in.  

1 (or 2) Tbsp olive oil
2 small or 1 large onion minced or chopped
2 Tbsp minced fresh ginger, (or frozen)

1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground cayenne pepper
1 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried thyme leaf

2 cups diced unpeeled potato
1/2  head green cabbage, cut in half lengthwise, cored and cut in small pieces
2 medium unpeeled carrots, chopped small
¾ cup chopped red bell pepper
1-1 ½ cups chopped fresh tomatoes
1 ½ - 2 cups chopped small chard or kale

1 Tbsp Bragg's Liquid Aminos
1 Tbsp Balsamic vinegar
Salt and Fresh ground black pepper to taste

Directions
  1. Prep the mirepoix. (only if you don’t have veggie broth)
  2. Prep the veggies. (chop, chop, chop)
  3. Heat the oil on medium in a big pot.
  4. Add the onion and ginger to the oil, sauté for a minute or so
  5. Add the other veggies and sauté 5 minutes on med/high heat
  6. Add the herbs and spices, sauté.
  7. Add potatoes and saute a bit.
  8. Add enough water to cover.  
  9. Cook at a good simmer (partially covered) for about 7 minutes.
  10. Add broth or liquid from the mirepox.
  11. Add the rest of the veggies except for tomatoes and chard/kale.
  12. Add more water as necessary, (I boil water in my electric tea kettle so it is boiling when I add it)
  13. Bring to boil and then simmer for 13 minutes, (or so).
  14. Add the tomatoes and chard/kale
  15. Bring back to boil and simmer 20 min - 1/2 hour, until veggies are tender.
  16. Add salt, pepper, Braggs , balsamic to taste.
  17. Enjoy! You can add some nutritional yeast or even cheese if you want.
My version is vegetables only but beans and/or grains are other great options.

No comments:

Post a Comment